What’s the DSDM?
DSDM stands for Dynamic Systems Development Method. It is an agile project delivery framework. In order to understand what is a DSDM method, we have to understand first what are a project management method and an agile management.
What’s a project management method?
Back in the 90’s, there was an increasing pressure on organizations to deliver working solutions to business problems in ever shorter time scales without compromising quality. Business leaders were frustrated by costly rigid or unreliable software development methods. In order to resolve their problems, they created new rapid methods that could transform delivery making projects more responsive while bringing them in on time and on budget. One of them is the DSDM method which is used to develop agile project framework.
What’s an agile management?
In software development, agile practices approach discovering requirements and developing solutions through the collaborative effort of self-organizing and cross-functional teams and their customer(s)/end user(s). It advocates adaptive planning, evolutionary development, early delivery, and continual improvement, and it encourages flexible responses to change.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development
In other terms, the agile management for the development of software is based on the collaboration of team members among the developping team but also with their customers/users. The goal of the agile software development is to deliver value faster, improve quality, allow for change, and focus on customers/users.
More informations on Ahmed’s article, just clic here.
The DSDM agile method is based on eight main principles:
- Focus on the business need,
- Deliver on time. The application should be delivered as soon as possible in order to allow rapid feedback and thus allow rapid modifications,
- Collaborate. The developers must be cooperative in making changes in order to obtain what the customers ask. It helps to focus on the most important things and be in adequation with the business,
- Never compromise quality,
- Build incrementally. Developers need to build step by step, little by little, to make sure that each line of code improves without creating problems. Any modification made during development must be reversible,
- Develop iteratively which means that the development is based on users’ feedbacks,
- Communicate continuously and clearly both with customers and with the development team,
- Demonstrate control. Developers have to show proper levels of planning, progress measurement, and reporting.
How the DSDM works?
The DSDM method is built in a way that it tells you what to do and when to do it. Thus, it contains various of phases which have various activities.
Here’s a list of the different phases that composed the DSDM method :
- Pre-Project: making sure the project makes sense and is set up properly
(Is it possible to do it? If yes, how? Does it sound right?)
- Feasibility: investigating the cost-effectiveness of the project,
(Is it too expensive? Is it time-consuming?)
- Foundations: creating a firm foundation for the project. The firm foundation is based on high-level plans. In order to build high-level plans, the firm needs a perfect understanding of the business project and of the product that the team will develop,
- Evolutionary Development: building the product. It is based on two phases, the Exploration phase and the Engineering phase,
- Deployment: putting the product into production, developing it,
- Post-Project: evaluating the business benefits of the project.